Pollution & Green Energy
Our lifestyle creates pollution.
We consume energy when we drive, cook, watch TV and cool or heat our homes. Most energy is generated through polluting sources such as the burning of fossil fuels like natural gas and oil. This pollution has been linked to many environmental challenges:
- Average temperatures have increased by approximately 1.4°F since the early 20th Century. This may not seem like a significant change, but small changes in temperature correspond to enormous changes in the environment:
- Increased extreme weather events such as heat waves, droughts, floods, hurricanes and severe storms.
- Lowered agricultural productivity due to less favorable weather conditions, less available irrigation water, increased heat stress to plants and an increase in pest activity due to warmer temperatures.
- Extinction of species that cannot adapt to rapidly changing climate and habitat conditions.
Heightened water levels
- Since 1993, global sea levels have risen at an accelerating rate of about 3.5 mm/year, leading to the loss of thousands of miles of shoreline and threatening 10% of the world's population that live in low-lying areas.
- Warming temperatures also lead to the melting of glaciers and ice sheets, which has caused rising ocean levels in both poles and forced the extinction of certain species.
Increased smog levels
- Smog is high in established metropolitan areas across North America, and is growing rapidly in countries such as India and China.
- High concentrations of greenhouse gases are linked to air and water pollution, as well as climate change which contribute to flooding, habitat destruction, ecosystem disruption, the spread of infectious diseases, and fresh water shortages.
The good news is that Just Energy offers green energy alternatives for your electricity and natural gas consumption that will benefit the environment, our communities and the economy:
- With JustGreen power, the equivalent of up to 100% of your electricity consumption will be generated by renewable power sources which do not contribute to the release of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere. The more renewable energy we buy, the greener our electricity grid becomes.
- With JustGreen natural gas, we will ensure that the equivalent of up to 100% of your natural gas consumption is offset by emission reduction projects that reduce the amount of greenhouse gases released into the atmosphere.
- Increased demand for green energy promotes the continued development of large scale green energy projects. Increased development helps to stimulate innovation and job growth in this sector of the economy.
- Availability of government-sponsored financial incentives for individuals and businesses to 'go green'.
- Energy efficient practices (such as the use of energy efficient appliances) can result in long term cost savings for households and businesses.
- Promotes the development of domestic energy production.
- We purchase renewable energy credits and carbon offsets from projects across North America.
- JustGreen purchases may help reduce the amount of polluting sources that your community depends on for power.
- Emission reduction projects help protect the air you breathe and contribute to a cleaner, more sustainable environment.