Sadly, the holiday season has come to an end. But that doesn’t mean the next few months have to be an arduous trudge toward springtime. There’s much to savor during the winter months, including plenty of cozy time at home creating warm, hearty meals that will keep your family feeling toasty inside and out.
Here are a few of our favorite winter recipes. Aim to prepare them with organic veggies and other ingredients and most can be crafted in eco-friendly style.
- Vegan Crockpot Tomato Soup: The slow cooker is one of our favorite green kitchen gadgets because it cooks food at a low temperature, requiring less power than the oven or stove. And we love using it to make this vegan creamy tomato soup recipe, which incorporates fresh (organic, if possible) tomatoes and steers clear of heavy dairy products.
- Spicy Whole Roasted Cauliflower: Once relegated to the mixed bag of frozen vegetables and always playing second fiddle to its green friend, broccoli, cauliflower is having a serious moment on the food scene. Impress your dinner guests (or just yourself!) with this delicious and healthy whole roasted cauliflower that’s filling enough to serve as a main course.
- Vegetarian “Chicken” and Dumplings: Skip the meat and enjoy this ‘light’ version of a comfort food classic. Get these vegetarian “chicken” and dumplings simmering on the stove and not only will your kitchen smell yummy, but the final product will also warm your family after cold days spent outside.
- Butternut Squash and Goat Cheese Hand Pies: Butternut squash has its starring role in fall dishes, but don’t discount this winter veggie just yet. Combined with goat cheese, savory spices and folded into a flaky pastry crust, these butternut squash hand pies make the perfect cold weather lunch or side dish.
- Vegetarian Slow Cooker Ramen: Forget everything you know about the 50-cent, flavor packet, college dorm room noodles and Google what’s happening in the world of contemporary ramen. Bring this flavorful and cozy dish to your home with this slow cooker ramen recipe that can be prepared with or without meat.