There are many happy holidays sprinkled throughout the calendar, however it’s Memorial Day that may be the happiest of all! For many of us, Memorial Day signals the end of cold, harsh winters and the start of swimming pool, sunbathing and vacation season. Take this holiday weekend to enjoy the warm weather outdoors with your nearest and dearest, but not without keeping environmentally-responsible principles top of mind! Here are some of our favorite, green Memorial Day activities for the whole family.
- Throw on some comfortable shoes, find a nearby hiking or nature trail and enjoy the early days of summer in the great outdoors. Make sure all members of your hiking crew stay on marked paths, don’t take anything home with them or leave trash behind. Here are a few more green hiking and camping tips for an environmentally friendly, family activity.
- Strap on your helmets, hop on your bikes and take a quick ride or a long journey with family and friends. Biking through town or on nature trails or parks is better for the environment, better for your health and can even save a life! See how with these 10 reasons riding a bike can save the world.
- With the unofficial start of summer comes the official start to farmer’s market season! Over the holiday weekend, many local growers will be back selling their fresh produce in your neighborhood. Take this opportunity to teach your children about the importance of buying fresh fruits and vegetables that are grown nearby.
- If you plan to participate in the Memorial Day tradition of throwing a friends and family barbecue, do so with our green grilling guide. And in addition to these tips, reduce your environmental impact by using less beef and cooking chicken, fish or vegetarian options and by serving your meals with reusable utensils and dishes.
- Use the long weekend to finally start the garden you’ve been dreaming about! Check out these eight green landscaping ideas or get your little ones involved in your outdoor projects with these eco-friendly gardening activities for kids.
Enjoy a safe and environmentally friendly Memorial Day and for more green tips and ideas, stay connected to the Just Energy blog and make sure to like Just Energy on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!