Our lifestyle creates pollution.
We consume energy when we drive, cook, watch TV and cool or heat
our homes. Most energy is generated through polluting sources such
as the burning of fossil fuels like natural gas and oil. This
pollution has been linked to many environmental challenges:
- Average temperatures have increased by approximately 1.4°F
since the early 20th Century. This may not seem like a significant
change, but small changes in temperature correspond to enormous
changes in the environment:
- Increased extreme weather events such as heat waves, droughts,
floods, hurricanes and severe storms.
- Lowered agricultural productivity due to less favorable weather
conditions, less available irrigation water, increased heat stress
to plants and an increase in pest activity due to warmer
- Extinction of species that cannot adapt to rapidly changing
climate and habitat conditions.
Heightened water levels
- Since 1993, global sea levels have risen at an accelerating
rate of about 3.5 mm/year, leading to the loss of thousands of
miles of shoreline and threatening 10% of the world's population
that live in low-lying areas.
- Warming temperatures also lead to the melting of glaciers and
ice sheets, which has caused rising ocean levels in both poles and
forced the extinction of certain species.
Increased smog levels
- Smog is high in established metropolitan areas across North
America, and is growing rapidly in countries such as India and
- High concentrations of greenhouse gases are linked to air and
water pollution, as well as climate change which contribute to
flooding, habitat destruction, ecosystem disruption, the spread of
infectious diseases, and fresh water shortages.
The good news is that Just Energy offers green
energy alternatives for your electricity and natural gas
consumption that will benefit the environment, our communities and
- With JustGreen power, the equivalent of up to 100% of your
electricity consumption will be generated by renewable power
sources which do not contribute to the release of greenhouse gases
into the atmosphere. The more renewable energy we buy, the greener
our electricity grid becomes.
- With JustGreen natural gas, we will ensure that the equivalent
of up to 100% of your natural gas consumption is offset by emission
reduction projects that reduce the amount of greenhouse gases
released into the atmosphere.
- Increased demand for green energy promotes the continued
development of large scale green energy projects. Increased
development helps to stimulate innovation and job growth in this
sector of the economy.
- Availability of government-sponsored financial incentives for
individuals and businesses to 'go green'.
- Energy efficient practices (such as the use of energy efficient
appliances) can result in long term cost savings for households and
- Promotes the development of domestic energy production.
- We support local renewable energy and carbon offset projects in
the markets we serve. Therefore, by signing on to our JustGreen
programs, you may be making a difference in your community by
helping support green projects that may have otherwise not been
- Supporting local renewable energy projects will also help green
your electricity grid and reduce the amount of polluting sources
that your community depends on for power.
- Local emission reduction projects help protect the air you
breathe and contribute to a cleaner, greener province or