You’re an eco-conscious consumer. You already have your household on the recycling, composting, and generally “green” path… but what about your community?
If you’re already committed to a lifestyle with a low carbon footprint, you may be asking yourself, “What’s the next step? How can I do more to help reduce the effects of pollution, global warming and climate change?”
The answer is simple: Get involved with the community! Below, check out our top five favorite community opportunities for the eco-conscious citizen.
- Adopt a highway, river, or park: Consider participating in any number of “adopt a ____” initiatives. These projects dedicate a few hours, days or weeks to cleaning up the community, one highway at a time. Safety note: Be sure to pay careful attention to safety tips and heed all warnings while on the site!
- Volunteer: Check out local opportunities to give back to your community and your planet through eco-conscious volunteer programs. The EPA provides a helpful list of inspiring examples, for those of you who don’t know where to begin.
- Reduce, Reuse, Recycle: Chances are, there are already countless ways you can encourage your community to recycle, as well as volunteer groups you can join within a local recycling initiative. A quick Google search will help you find a number of organizations in your area.
- Begin a composting initiative: Get into composting, and get others in your community to join in the efforts! Start with your own household, and then expand to your neighborhood, school, team, etc.
- Carbon offsetting: Want to get involved in green projects, but not sure what to do? Carbon offsetting is a convenient way to offset carbon emissions and contribute to a green lifestyle. Learn more about carbon offsets here.
For the truly ambitious, green go-getter, starting a new organization, business or non-profit that focuses on green initiatives/projects is a wonderful way to give back to the planet! Do some research on the green organizations that already exist in your community (and you might just discover a few things that are lacking!).
Already involved in a number of influential community groups or service organizations that aren’t overly eco-conscious? Try slowly introducing green practices and projects to your meetings, events, and everyday activities!
Our new JustGreen Lifestyle program has simple options to help you go carbon neutral. We offer three carbon offset solutions to fit different lifestyles. Offset your monthly carbon footprint – with just a few clicks! Get started here: http://justgreencommunity.com/lifestyle-products/.